Education and Medical Training
University of Cincinnati, Cincinnati, Ohio, B.S., 1960-1964
University of Maryland School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland, M.D., 1965-1969
Inducted in Rush Medical Club 1968 (scholarship and service society)
Elected to Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society 1968
Presentation of award winning paper to Alpha Omega Alpha annual research seminar
1968 on research done at Rocky Mountain Lab in summer of 1967 under UHPHS grant
Summers of 1965 and 1966 spent in lab of Dr. John Sever at the National Institutes
of Health working in the development of a Rubella vaccine under USPHS grant
Straight Pediatrics, Program Director Dr. Donald Delaney
Children’s National Medical Center, Washington, DC 1969-1970
Dermatology, Program Director Dr. Aaron Lerner
Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, Connecticut 1972-1975
Chief Resident in Dermatology 1974-1975
Instructor in Dermatology, Yale University School of Medicine, 1974-1975
USPHS, General Medical Officer, Old Marine Hospital clinic, Chicago, Illinois 1970-1972
Limited to medical adult and pediatric disease (non cosmetic)
Solo practitioner, 6201 Greenbelt Road, College Park, Maryland 20740 1975-2011
Group practice, 7701 Greenbelt Road, Greenbelt, Maryland 20770
20 hours per week, 2011-current
Current Professional Societies
Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society
Prince George’s County Medical Society
Maryland State Medical Society
American Academy of Dermatology
Atlantic Dermatological Society
Washington DC Dermatological Society
Instructor in Dermatology
Yale University School of Medicine, 1974-1975
Vice Chairman, Department of Dermatology
Washington Hospital Center, 1975-1989
Senior Attending until 2010
Consultant, Dermatology Branch
National Institutes of Health, 1977-1989
Children’s National Medical Center Dermatology Clinic, 1975-2010
Clinical Assistant Professor to Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Pediatrics
George Washington University School of Medicine, 1975-2010
Licensure and Certification
American Board of Dermatology, December 1976
State of Maryland, Physician and Surgeon (expires 9/20/2014)
Peer Review committee
Prince George’s county Medical society, 1987-1990
Peer Review committee
Healthplus HMO, 1984-1989, 1992-1995
Washington Hospital Center, 1984-1989
Cited in the most recent editions as well as multiple past editions over 20 years
and all peer selected:
Who’s Who in America
Who’s Who in the World
Best doctors in America
Washingtonian “Top Doctors”
Washington Checkbook Outstanding Physician Specialists
Silver Spring Camera Club, Photographer of the Year, 1992-1993
Photograph published in Bethesda Magazine, 2005
Averaged about 1000 miles per year for over 30 years
Completed 6 marathons from 2000-2004
Completed over 100 10K and 10 mile races over 30 years
First Editions, special interest in modern American Fiction
Founding volunteer United States Holocaust Memorial Museum, 1993-1995
Greater DC Cares
Soup Kitchen worker, Adams Morgan area of Washington, D.C., 1990’s
1. Katz,R.A. : Treatment of acanthosis nigricans with oral isotretinoin. Archives of
2. Bruchner, N., Katz, R.A., Hood, A.F. : Pemphigus foliaceus resembling eruptive
seborrheic keratoses. Archives of Dermatology, 116: 815-816, 1980.
3. Katz, R.A., Jorgensen, H., Nigra, T.P. : Elevation of serum triglyceride levels
From oral isotretinoin. Archives of Dermatology, 116: 1369-1372, 1980.
*Not previously reported in humans taking the drug. This paper became a
permanent reference in the package insert of Accutane and its subsequent generics.
4. Nigra, T.P., Katz, R.A., Jorgensen, H. : Elevation of serum triglyceride levels from
oral 13-cis-retinoic acid, in Orfanos, C.E. et al. (eds) : Retinoids. Springer-Verlag,
5. Katz, R.A., Jorgensen, H., Nigra, T.P. : flare of cystic acne from oral isotretinoin.
J Am Acad Dermatol, 8: 132-133, 1983 (Letter to Editor)
6. Katz, R.A., Hood, A.F. : Transepidermal elimination following the use of a topical
adrenal steroid. Archives of Dermatology, 121: 412-414, 1985
7. Katz, R.A., : Isotretinoin treatment of recalcitrant warts in an immunosupressed
Man. Archives of Dermatology, 122-19-20, 1986.
8. Katz, R.A., Hood, A.F., Anhalt, G.J. : Pemphigus-like eruption from captopril,
Archives of Dermatology, 123, 20-21, 1987.
9. Katz, R.A. : Unhook Me. (Commentary) J An Acad Dermatol, 17:865-866, 1987.
10. Katz, R.A., et al : Multiple facial nodules in a young woman. Archives of
Dermatology, 123: 1707-1712, 1987.
Ronald Alan Katz, M.D.
11. Katz, R.A. : Flaky. JAMA, 262: 282, 1989.
12. Katz, R.A., Flaky, in Young, R.K.(ed): A Piece of My Mind, American Medical
Association, 230-232, 2000.